How you actually increase the players base...
  • April 20, 2019, 08:58:52 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How you actually increase the players base...  (Read 1793 times)

Byzantine

• View Profile
How you actually increase the players base...
« on: September 08, 2018, 08:52:08 am »

so a few smart cookies are trying to increase the player base....i remember finding LOU cuz it popped up first thing when i looked for an online strategy war game... so if i was to look now candy crush would come up but no coftg (and no i'm not joking, it's actually true screenshot below)

https://gyazo.com/2621e98d177e1b58bdc327667a580d18  (notice candy crush)
https://gyazo.com/dabb4eb742275e9d2519427c3282ad39

https://gyazo.com/49de095b5f9f3224600f5c1c52e2fa6d (in all the first 3 pages nothing about coftg comes up eventhough i play it)

in link below some players complaining about some game being pay to win etc and others commenting, one mentions the list of games he explored and all similar - that would be a good place for someone to pop in and say hey how about you try coftg !

https://gyazo.com/ddd9b2ab403ad81bc20918b663e23b2d

developers should do better marketing and SEO optimisation and players can help a bit with that.

If you want to increase retention of players....then that's a whole different thing that players & leaders to some extent can have an impact - but not as much as some of you seem to think. it comes down to if players actually enjoy the game or not - and attrition is just normal in any product...those that like the game will stick around even if they dislike the current teams/leaders

Muckraker

• View Profile
Re: How you actually increase the players base...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 12:03:10 am »

Lord of Ultima had pretty low retention -- in its heyday, continents would fill up with new players, most of them turning to low point lawless cities a few weeks later. A small-ish percentage would stick around to learn how to play, and only a few of those would be dedicated enough to complete a server and get crowns.

EA spent money on marketing, as you note. They bid for Google adwords to get paid placements on searches. For quite a while there were banner ads all over the internet. There were also a few clever things like getting it on games section of the Chrome Web Store (it turns out you don't need to be an installable app or extension to be there).

The marketing dollars meant there was a constant influx of new players trying out the game. Within the game, we saw it as continents opening up at a certain rate, and noob alliances starting on outer continents.

I believe (without much evidence) that the low retention rate and broad attrition among the serious players meant that EA never could get the financial return they wanted on the game. They cut the marketing budget around the same time they shut down the Phenomic studio, and we saw continents opening up more slowly in games because fewer people were finding LoU. This inevitably led to the shutdown.

I really don't know what CotG's new player rate and retention rate look like, nor do I know if there is a lesson from that. Gaming is probably the hardest part of the software industry to be successful in. My perception is that it is feasible because there is a core of LoU hardcores who keep it alive, and that's not a bad thing. Certainly this game would be more enjoyable and sustainable if there was a decent flow of new players, though.

edahlbeck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 03:19:18 pm »

i would be shocked to hear that we even retain 1 in 100 players, people play games for the action and there are so many other alternatives out there that scratch that itch as soon as you begin playing. Not to mention that unless someone like me or byz are in the game world chat will be a dead place 24/7, that seems trivial but i remember chat being a big reason why i stuck it out my first LOU server. There will always be a small community that loves this game, but in its current state we will never see much more than we have now, Best just to do 2 severs a year one EU one NA with the short competition servers in between imo. So everyone is forced to play the same servers or none at all.   
“We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged”

Byzantine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:52:56 am »

Byz or I*

Empreror

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 02:21:37 pm »

Sorry, he had it right. 

TheGoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:03:36 pm »

I found the other game from a very simple bit of marketing, a card left at my desk at a LAN party with a closed beta key.

I do feel that the devs should be doing more to push the game out there now, there is plenty that could be done to market the game as I feel most of us that have been here from day dot have pushed and pestered everyone we can and the word of mouth action won't get huge responses until we get a new footfall.

I personally think that if the game was a genuine cross platform game (browser/mobile(ios&android)), then there are massive markets available within the clash of clans/game of war clones because there are alot of players there that don't want to spend $2k on an account to be competitive and would fit right in here.

For the moment players of games like Evony should be targeted as we seem to be getting a few from there and the transition seems good for them. How about giving them denari or ministers for a couple of week when starting out?

Barbiedoll

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 01:59:14 pm »

Instead of marketing to everyone, they should really study their focus group and market to them. COTG is a niche game. Most players are older, at least the ones that play more than just a few weeks.
Maybe the could do a survey on the actual player base, especially the ones with one or more crowns to see why they play. Also survey the ones that stop playing after a few weeks/months to see why they stop.
When you have a niche product you really need to know to whom you can market that product. And maybe you should listen to what those people like (and dislike) and develop the game accordingly.
Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Byzantine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 01:29:24 am »

whoever is looking "strategy games online" is a potential customer.... but yea surveys and insights are always good as well

Yugosplat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 07:04:16 pm »

Getting people to notice the game is only half the battle.  Need to keep some of them and that also needs some serious work. 

The beginning of the game is entertaining, for an hour or two but it quickly turns into click a couple buttons and come back in a few hours.  It rapidly gets worse from there.  We will probably never get a decent player base if they can’t even play long enough to get hooked.  They should look into adjusting the low end building res and timescales to let people play longer before running into the res and time walls.

Second issue is they need to work on the resource rates of res buildings vs. raiding.  Either that or completely revamp the tutorial.  With the current res rate differences the tutorial essentially teaches you to do the exact opposite of what you need to do to compete.  Nothing turns people away faster than them being lead down the wrong path. 
There are other issues as well but these are probably the two biggest I see for new players in the game as both of them are major turn offs in early game.

Barbiedoll

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 07:52:46 am »

I don't think the early game is such a problem, that will turn away some players but others may just want something slower paced and stay. The problem is that after starting out slowly it turns into a real time hog only a few weeks later - and that's when a lot of people quit - (unless they quit right away of course because i was too slow.

But that's where surveys come in and having an idea what the player base wants. Then you can either make a game for those who want to play several hours a day and change the beginning, or make one for people who want to play an hour or less a day and change something in the later game, like e.g. making res cities useful again or any of the numerous suggestions that have already been made in other forum threads.
Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Yugosplat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 05:42:07 pm »

I was just suggesting that they tweak early game (low level building) times and res production to increase the amount of actual play time people can get before they run into time and res walls.  There are tons of players that leave before they even get to the 2nd city.  a lot of them probably leave because it isn't their type of game but i suspect a lot leave due to the lack of things to do.  If there is nothing to do, why bother?

The way the res production is setup res buildings vs. raiding doesn't really lend itself to being viable for someone who only wants to play for an hour or so a day which is probably also a turn off to some.  A res builder has no hope of keeping up and as a result no chance of getting into a decent alliance, etc.  I would be for adjusting the production ratios to make res building even remotely viable again.  It would give those casual players more of a chance and thus a reason to stick around. 

Dominator16

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 02:42:58 pm »

The problem with surveys of the player base is that they primarily get feedback from the people who love the way the game currently is (because they're the ones who have stuck around).  I think the best approach is to try new things and see how they work.  I mean isn't the definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?  If you continue to release the same servers with the same rules, the player base will stay the same size that it has since the game started.  Try changing things up a bit with a new special server every couple of months.  Try new things every time and see what works and what people generally seem to like.  You can see what works and what doesn't by just seeing daily login rates on each server for the duration and the generally positive feedback in the forums with no need for surveys at all. Mesh the ideas that work together and that can be your new "classic server" and the old style LoU server can continue to exist as a special server for the small amount of people that still love that style of play.

CoolAsIce00

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 07:49:09 pm »

just give autobuild and autoraid....

BrazenBull

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 08:53:36 pm »

LMAO!! The best way to increase the player base is to fix this bug fest, get the game running right and then invite back the thousands of players that quit because it's a mess of bugs some of which have been a problem for years. THAT would go a LONG way to growing and keeping a player base. It don't matter what kind of advertising or marketing you do if the product is inferior. People may be attracted by advertising and marketing but  once they realize the product is riddled with bugs they will just leave like the thousands of people that have already given up on this game.

Empreror

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 07:33:44 am »

Don’t play beta games then complain about bugs.  This game is two years old.  You are here to help develop the game, asshole.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up