Continent openings
  • April 20, 2019, 08:58:21 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Continent openings  (Read 1413 times)

edahlbeck

• View Profile
Continent openings
« on: July 10, 2018, 07:55:09 pm »

Re-balanced the metrics behind new continent opening, as the levels of player prediction and manual continent filling, were ruining the fun. From W13 onwards, there will be 3 sets of parameters for new continent opening:
1) New continent opens immediately if city count on the previous continent reaches a random number between 650 and 750.
2) New continent opens between 4.5 and 5.5 days, if city count on the previous continent reaches a random number between 450 and 550.
3) Otherwise, a new continent will open between 7.5 and 8.5 days.

Why are you adding RNG into a strategy game, as it is now the team who plans the best in advance, gets the best launching spot, gets the prize. Not some random opening where you count on "luck" to get critical areas on the map. This just caters to the groups that are to lazy to plan ahead.
“We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged”

Syadon

• View Profile
Re: Continent openings
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:13:19 pm »

Is the order going to be the same? With this change it just sounds like c23 will open faster and we get 1 more day to save Senators for those early cont rushes.

jknight2112

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:46:36 pm »

Re-balanced the metrics behind new continent opening, as the levels of player prediction and manual continent filling, were ruining the fun. From W13 onwards, there will be 3 sets of parameters for new continent opening:
1) New continent opens immediately if city count on the previous continent reaches a random number between 650 and 750.
2) New continent opens between 4.5 and 5.5 days, if city count on the previous continent reaches a random number between 450 and 550.
3) Otherwise, a new continent will open between 7.5 and 8.5 days.

Why are you adding RNG into a strategy game, as it is now the team who plans the best in advance, gets the best launching spot, gets the prize. Not some random opening where you count on "luck" to get critical areas on the map. This just caters to the groups that are to lazy to plan ahead.

All this changes is a need for a "role" of clickaholics to find that "random" time. It does not change the fact a determined group of players that can plan ahead can still push open the continents they need to get what it takes for them to crown at a breakneck speed that causes burnout.

If you REALLY want to change things and bring a balance and STRATEGY back to the game, the don't light the shrines on unopened continents. Run the shrine cycle just as it is now for the first 4-8 continents, but stop lighting shrines for the unopened continents. Require the continent to be open a week or 10 days before the first shine on it activates.

Yes, it does bring a level of chance to whether a continent is "worth" investing in, and how heavily, but it should also allow for room for "invasions" of a new continent if the chance element brings a shrine another team needs.

Take away the "click faster what we need is on the next contient" element from the game and put the "fight to get or hold what you need" STRATEGY back in the game.

MonkeySuit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 10:56:43 am »

Surely there is room for and a need for some RNG in the game.  Keeps things from being totally predictable and repetitive.  I'm not saying this is an amazing or game changing adjustment, but i'm glad its something different.  I planned more than a few complex cont openings and landings but I would be happy if those were weakened or made less important.  I am a fan of small tweaks even if it takes a few times to get things fixed.  This could end up just being tweak number one.

MS

jknight2112

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 12:55:38 pm »

I'm not opposed to there being some element of randomness to parts of the game. It's already there with what portals open, when they open, what shrines light, what type they are, etc.

As it stands with shrines lighting on unopened continents, it will remain possible for teams to push open continents to get to those shrines quickly, even with a random element on the timing. As long as one player on the team notices as soon as one does open and send a message to allies, nothing has changed except other teams now had a chance to check often and maybe get "lucky" and spot it first.

That is not a fix at all to what I think leads to burnout and quitting by some players. They become overwhelmed by that rush to go claim new continents and just can't find the time to build and keep up and end up walking away. I've observed this for multiple servers where players quit because they just can't keep up.

Delaying the shrine activation until after a continent is opened and settled would change the dynamics to bring a slower pace to expansions and a focus on invasions and preventing invasions. It would mean longer servers, but that could be tweaked as well by having 2nd shrines on continents appear sooner. Shorten that from every 35 days to 28 or 21. That would make securing continents quicker a higher priority.

emmabunny

• bunnies rule :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 01:57:51 pm »

i like rng. i like people having to adapt to situations and not having things be the same every time. so yes, we have rng with which shrine will light on the cont, but we all know when shrines will light on conts and the order of everything. i agree so much to not have shrines open on conts that havent opened yet. this to me is one of the things i hate the most. it makes the game dull. i like shrines popping like mebbe 15 days or so after the cont opens. then a sped up lighting of shrines until they catch up to the standard.

and i know ive said this before, like a million times, but how bout not having the conts open in the same order every time???? sure i personally would love some craziness like 05 opening after 22, but thats me :P but what about instead of always going the exact order, have a lil randomness? starts with 22 and then it could be either 23, 12, 32, or 21 that opens next.
the above is my opinion and my opinion alone. but if you dont like what i say blame goldwolf :P

MonkeySuit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 07:05:05 pm »

As long as people make senators as fast as they do, there will be a push by the alliance to use them for something and that will push people and cause burnout

Davicof

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 06:57:37 am »

To slow the game down, have continents open from the outside inward.  Currently the game starts on 22 which gives advantage to early alliances as they have the shortest access to all other continents for both expansion and navy. 

If you started the game on opposites sides of the board, 00,55,01,45,01,54 etc, the advantage of 22-33 would be like a late play for control of the center of the board.
  It's time for a crown

Zagmar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 06:59:28 pm »

How about a world with random continent openings? Combine that with "fog of war" where continent layouts remain invisible until opening, and you really toss a money wrench into the same old, same old planning stages. Sounds like fun to me.

Cylon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 03:16:00 am »

To slow the game down, have continents open from the outside inward.  Currently the game starts on 22 which gives advantage to early alliances as they have the shortest access to all other continents for both expansion and navy. 

If you started the game on opposites sides of the board, 00,55,01,45,01,54 etc, the advantage of 22-33 would be like a late play for control of the center of the board.

A good way to stop the early game bloodbath that is C22 would be to start  in each of the 4 corners simultaneously, the random allotment of players in each corner would possibly force existing alliances from prior worlds from forming, allowing rather newer players to join them if they try and base on one corner. I doubt 1 alliance could take over all 4 corners, and if they did try and claim one corner, the slowness of old alliance people coming from other corners would impede them. It would allow a tactic of trying for just one corner, or two or more, but with more the harder it would be for them, do they get greedy and over stretch, or work from just one corner? Each corner would have the same criteria for opening the next continent along their path, but each corner would have a path of 9 continents, working inwards, allowing faster or slower progression. I think it would be an interesting way to start a game, and welcome any input on it.
By Your Command

Stefan0820

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 03:47:22 am »

A good way to stop the early game bloodbath that is C22 would be to start  in each of the 4 corners simultaneously, the random allotment of players in each corner would possibly force existing alliances from prior worlds from forming, allowing rather newer players to join them if they try and base on one corner. I doubt 1 alliance could take over all 4 corners, and if they did try and claim one corner, the slowness of old alliance people coming from other corners would impede them. It would allow a tactic of trying for just one corner, or two or more, but with more the harder it would be for them, do they get greedy and over stretch, or work from just one corner? Each corner would have the same criteria for opening the next continent along their path, but each corner would have a path of 9 continents, working inwards, allowing faster or slower progression. I think it would be an interesting way to start a game, and welcome any input on it.

I like the idea of 4 starting continents to prevent the c22 clusterfuck and the c23 chickengame.. but I'm pretty sure that starting on 00, 05, 50 and 55 would turn the game into an even more raiding-only-game than it is already. Imagine how hard it would be for the C00 alliance to invade any continent of the c55 alliance.. There'd be a huge shipping disadvantage and in my opinion it would be pretty much impossible to win a continent there unless your alliance is much stronger.
dogs gonna bark

Siolad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:50 pm »

The idea starting on 4 corners simultaneously is a good one with some merit. However, as was stated, starting on the four corners would do some damage to the actual early war aspect of the game and would encourage more farming to win, and less fighting. Now if you shift slightly and move to C11, C14, C41 and C44, you have 4 continents that are equidistant from each other. Now while this "could" have the same the impact on the first month or so of the game allowing players to grow and farm it could also disperse the player base enough that it would allow for more expanded alliances, and shifting allegiances. It would eliminate the strategy of "wait 72 hrs everyone spawn on c23" Or Server starts at 12:00:00 CST everyone log in now get it locked up for us. If you have those four continents opening the player-base would be dispersed equally across the four continents. This could give the potential for new players to have some space to grow, eliminate the all consuming land rush that is c22 and c23, and always forcing a third alliance to abandon c22 and c23 because the third alliance is usually the slower growing of the three because of the  nature of the beast. The four continent strategy though, it could open up much more depth in the strategy aspect of the game along with the Fog of War which is one of the best implementations to date in my opinion. If continent order was randomized this would further bring a level of depth to the game play as well, the way it stands the order has been the same since the age of the dinosaurs, and recent changes have been impactful, there is always room for more improvement.
Just my thoughts on the matter feel free to lambaste it, or add your own thoughts and improvements. The most important aspect is that we are engaging and talking and trying to make the game better.

MuthaLubba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 09:20:03 pm »

Separating alliances any more than we are now will encourage farming.  I was looking at world view, and really, no matter how you spread us around, it will hinder combat.  Now, how about you merge 22, 23, 32, 33 into 1 mega continent, forcing every alliance to start on it.  Then we would all be equal distance to the surrounding 12 continents that would open next.  And regardless of cities on 22, new continents wont open for a month.  The fighting would be awesome.

Gilbert56

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 06:21:50 am »

I like the idea of 4 starting continents to prevent the c22 clusterfuck and the c23 chickengame.. but I'm pretty sure that starting on 00, 05, 50 and 55 would turn the game into an even more raiding-only-game than it is already. Imagine how hard it would be for the C00 alliance to invade any continent of the c55 alliance.. There'd be a huge shipping disadvantage and in my opinion it would be pretty much impossible to win a continent there unless your alliance is much stronger.

Then stop treating the world map as "flat". From C00, C05 would one continent away to the West, and C50 would be one continent away to the North

CoolAsIce00

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 06:10:15 pm »

Separating alliances any more than we are now will encourage farming.  I was looking at world view, and really, no matter how you spread us around, it will hinder combat.  Now, how about you merge 22, 23, 32, 33 into 1 mega continent, forcing every alliance to start on it.  Then we would all be equal distance to the surrounding 12 continents that would open next.  And regardless of cities on 22, new continents wont open for a month.  The fighting would be awesome.

^ Dont like this ass clown but hes got a point
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up